Friday, May 22, 2009

I got the job!

Not sure if I mentioned this yet, but I applied to be an instructor (well, THE instructor) for the Iowa First Nations Program, a science program for 9-11 grade Native American students from across the country. Well, I got it!! ...despite the fact that I'm not a certified teacher nor do I have a whole lot of experience working with diverse student groups...

It's a 2-week course, everyday 9-3pm (minus lunch) and my job is to develop the curriculum (with the program director) and teach it. Many of these kids are some of the 1st people in their family to consider college, so they'll get a taste of college life (dorms, dorm food, visiting/using campus buildings). Should be fun!

Since I got that, I have decided not to do work week at Castaway Club. I was hoping to go (despite the fact that I'd have to drive most of the way to and back by myself...boo) but I decided I need to be in Iowa City to begin developing the curriculum (I have two weeks to get it all set!). So if you're an Iowa Citian, you get to have me around for an extra week of the summer. If you're a Castaway-ian(?) you won't see me til 3rd session! yay for work crew bossin'!

Nothing too deep today... I moved all the furniture in my room myself (picture me at 7am trying not to make too much noise while hoisting bookcases and a huge desk across the room by myself... yikes). I got impatient and a little gung-ho... So it's closer - now I just need to go through things to get rid of some stuff and make new places for things. It's fun:)

Signing off for tonight. Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment